Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Letters to Myself

El Hams was a man I knew in a previous life
Soy cansado y hambriento de progreso

just meant try and lighten up a bit .. @MDT  ..

I'd argue the opposite @TAB
most people who don't do introspection and philosophy are dull
but anyway

Hey @MDT
Just reading through your letter from earlier today, and I am hearing lots of questions and thoughts you have, and also some strong statements of self compassion here that I just wanted to reflect back one- it really resonated as a powerful statement to me.

"I believe if you dig down deep enough you will find resolve within you but also a renewed confidence. That may sound like a far way off, but give it time. Time is all you need to give these things....." This self kindness you showed here also stood out for me, giving yourself time for healing and believing in yourself is self compassion.

I hope that in writing these letters to yourself is something you find helpful as a coping strategy in your toolbox 🙂

Hi @Daisydreamer
Thanks for saying that.
I forgot I had written this today.
I needed a remider

Hi @MDT 

I’ve just caught up on reading the letters that you’ve posted and I’m amazed with each of them. You are so reflective yet true to yourself as well as kind and considerate. I love how you’re so honest as well which is amazing. Well done forumite friend!

In reading through your letters, I’m hoping to find some tips from you as to how to write a letter to myself regarding staying on meds which my psychologist wants me to write and have done by Saturday when I next have an appointment. I’m really struggling with the words of it and am feeling a little stressed to be honest. My counsellor from Tafe also wants a copy after I mentioned it to her yesterday in our appointment. I’m at a point where I know the benefits of staying on meds yet actually writing them down on paper is what I’m finding to be difficult if that makes sense. Maybe it’s just my perfectionist streak coming out in me they makes it so difficult and I’m putting undue pressure on myself to get it done. Hopefully I’m able to relax soon snd things will just formulate well without me actually thinking of it. Fingers crossed for that

Thanks very much for sharing once again.

Judi9877☺️💐🍀

Hey Judi

All I would say is treat yourself like you would treat someone else. Literally write it to yourself as if you were another.
If you are stressed out about it - write that down as a starter.

Just keen in to it. It doesn't need to be perfect. Just honest

Dear Hams

I will keep this short. But sweet.

Remember to be kind and good to yourself. For others have been. Others have been and thus should give you reason to be good to yourself.

You are healing. This is good. So much of you is good. You've only just begun to let that good into the world. See what happened today? It was good. People said these things about you. Do not question it. Leave it alone and see it as a good thing in its own right. They didn't have to do that.

Keep injecting good things into the world Hams. You're scoring some goals. And you're working on your form. 

My best as always

Dear Hams

This time I find you on the morning of your last day at your job. This time last year you would've pounced on this job. But alas, things have changed radically in a small period of time.

A lot has happened and I imagine a lot more will.

For now just enjoy your last day and take it in.

Yes things will feel very different after this but it's not a bad thing. It's just different. Don't let your inner critic have a field day with yourself. You don't need that.

Yes I know it'll feel strange not having a work commitment. But this is not a goal in its own right. It's an old mindset that served a purpose when I needed it. Now, ironically, there is little purpose to your work and it'd a good job but the work itself was not cutting the mustard. We know this already.

So now the rule is not about having a work commitment full stop. Ots about what you spend time on. You've already made some good choices in that regard. You've got uni and also a placement that will come up with that
Who knows, maybe you'll find a cool job before then.
Time will tell as it always does.

Be genuine Hams

Just keep on the right path and be honest with yourself and those around you.

There's enough fake in the world already

Dear Hams

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life and I genuinely mean that. From tomorrow onwards you are firmly in control and in the drivers seat. You are not a copilot anymore. 

I know you feel slightly concerned and even anxious about the next months ahead. Things could happen very slowly or very fast. Either way - they will happen. Why do I know that? Because you are already on a good path. 

You are intelligent Hams and you know people. But it is time to rest and get to know yourself and the things you want in life, what you want from others, what you want from this world and most importantly what you want to inject into the world. In your small corner of the universe, your mind, there must be more peace. 

Quit the things that impede you. Quit the things that slow you down. Just go simple.

You have already taken that much needed first step into the new world that is your life on your terms - that is a good phrase to use in fact - "My life on my terms"

The thing is Hams you said yesterday to your friend that you once never really thought about why you could not take your own life. But now you know the answer - because you could not do this to those close to you and those you love and those who love you. You pictured them broken at your funeral. Well then you said yourself - the very fact that never happened - maybe that is good enough. 

Personally HAms, I think that is a good starting point. You can't get much more based than that. 

You've been on one hell of a journey Hams. In life so far. 

Rest my friend. Be aware of what you can do in this time you know have. 

Eliminate the things that hold you back, get off stupid social media that governs how you feel about yourself. Stay on a dating app if you must, but again be honest with those on it for what you want. Do not obsess over how you look - it's fine. Do not fret that you have not got a committed workplace. You had that. But it did not cut the mustard. 

Take inventory on yourself my friend. Introspection is good, but make it work for you. 

My best as always. And never forget that I am with you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance