Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: self care -- Food, Salt , Sugar , Water

@Appleblossom, very true with what you said

and it is the same with everything

when you look up videos of kidney disease , the speaker make it sound sooo bad

and having diabetes is  very misunderstood

Not sure whether to correct her ...or just let it go .., depends my friend , some things i would let it go but speak up when you think you need to

like me when people tell me with my diabetes it was because i ate the wrong things ---- ammm no it is because of my kidney disease

Am going to try some shiratake noodles @Appleblossom  with our next stir fry - supposed to be low carb but filling. 

low GI foods too they say are good too @Former-Member 

Hearing you @Shaz51 

Heart

@Former-Member Sounds yum

I will be concerned if my son overdoes the keto for too long ... atm he is having a positive experience and is learning to self regulate .... and all that is GREAT self care for a young man.

I have always maintained an eat across all major food groups approach rather than pushing any particular diet.  Perhaps I am less obssessive than I give myself credit ...lol

Smiley Happy

We are more of the 'in  moderation' ilk too @Appleblossom   Mr Darcy's blood sugars up and he does eat a lot of carbs, brekky cereal, bread at lunch and either rice or pasta at tea, well exceeding daily recommendations. He has a bowl of frozen fruit for dessert and we have a salad at lunch and veg with the tea. I eke out meat in spag bol with a can of lentils.  If he gets all natural, no added sugar yoghurt with berries which I am trying to limit to once a week he eats the 1kg tub in a single sitting 😵

sounds good @Former-Member 

have to re educate mr shaz

my blood sugar is up a bit today , don`t know why

thinking i might be coming down with something , getting a sore throat

sickness and stress puts your sugars up too

@Appleblossom, @Ali11 , @Determined 

Hope you pick up soon @Shaz51

yes , don`t need a cold or anything @Former-Member xxx

@Shaz51 

Heart

@Former-Member 

I had to consciously stop eating my cereal every morning to break that habit ... and started rotating my breakfasts ... all the typical ... toast ... an egg ... yoghurt ...  I still have the odd bit of porrdge these days but not much ... I doubt I will buy much breakfast cereal again ... maybe if the grandchild wants it ... but his mother is even more restricting on that stuff than I ...

one aspect my son liked of the keto approach is learning to feel his own satiety.

He found and they tote ... that keto helps with feeling full.  My son has found his limits on over indulging his favourite foods and is naturally coming to terms with his relationship to food.  Its helpful for a young father as well ... one thing I can breathe a sigh of relief about ...without the serious food access problems that tormented my forebears on both sides of my genealogy.

Smiley Happy

yaaaaa @Appleblossom , @Former-Member 

blood sugar is 6.3 at 6pm Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance