Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Being too honest about suicidal thoughts?

When I was administered into hospital twice in 2011, I was overwhelmed, could not function daily and pretty much nearly thinking I was better off taking my life. Not that I told my loved ones about my suicidal thoughts, but it was the very helpless position I was in that made the decision to be admitted into hospital an easier and safer decision to make.

Me too.

Hi @Former-Member 

This is a real tricky subject and very much a common concern I think amongst people that see a psychologist/psychiatrist.

I try and be as open and honest with my support team. There has been a few times where my pdoc has admitted me, and looking back, he probably made the right decision.

Then again, there have been a few times where I have not been as open as I could have with my support team. It is a real struggle at times and I think it comes down to how much you trust them.

I hope this helps and makes sense too.

Snowie xoxo

@Snowie 

@Netty78 

@greenpea 

@chibam 

@Gwynn 

@Bow 

@Eden1919 

@SJT63 

@TideisTurning 

@Appleblossom 

@AussieRecharger 

Thank you so much for your support, guys. I wanted to quickly share with you a document talking about the process for suicide risk assessment in the public health system in NSW. This is ABSOLUTELY only intended as a guide, and I'm sure the organisations that your therapist is a part of will have their own guidelines, but it is a very interesting read. OBVIOUSLY REALLY [...] TRIGGERING FOR SUICIDE.

Reading it gave me the confidence to say that I probably won't be hospitalised if I'm honest about my thoughts, and I can be more comfortable than I was before I read it. Wish me luck!

Hi @Former-Member ,

what a great question.  In my view just shut up unless you want to be hospitalised or just given loads of phone numbers to call.  People shut down and want to pass the problem on so they don’t feel responsible 

peri

I avoid the topic of suicidal thoughts with health care professionals (or anyone really), it scares peoole. I've find a Safety Plan & a Coping Box helpful, where you CONTRACT YOURSELF to take steps before acting. 

This is what therapists or friends should help you with, and also help you build that life worth living! - without throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I really hope more Counsellors read this thread. To Know how we feel
___
I found this discussion thread tonight in looking for somewhere to plop my own struggle with thoughts of suicide tonght. Actually it's been building up for fee weeks now (not surprising being this time of year), and my sleep patterns & relationships are suffering. Today I had the very powerful thought: "Why don't you do it now so those accountable for managing final affairs / goodbyes (funeral, cremation, WILL)... so they dont have the inconvenience of  taking time off work, so they can get it all out the way before they have to go back to work in the new year" 

Does anyone else have these type of thoughts?  A lot of "JUST DO IT!" scenarios have popped into my head lately. It takes me by surprise so I don't think it's my thoughts. It's gotta be another entity. Hard part is knowing what I want. Immediately my stress levels spike concerned if i'll be able to resist  😖vim so tired 

Please Don't panic, I'M SAFE, but I sure could do with a listening ear.

Maybe SI is an alarm bell (like a toothache) that's telling me that 'All is not well & to take stock and reduce stressors somehow' I donno, what Sonu think? . I have past trauma that comes back to haunt me this time of year, it's hard to stop that, and Exhausting to connect heart to thought to heart (be aware), near impossible really.
I've taken something to try sleep tonight (2am), often a fresh start breaks it.

Any advice @Former-Member  ?  bit lost at the moment

Hi @Rosemary4 

Just popping by to offer some support & after reading through your post, I really find what you described as a useful strategy - that way of contracting with yourself, interesting. I came across a small pocket book that someone with a lived experience of suicidality had created which had a similar idea behind it.
Can’t quite think of the name of it right now though unfortunately.

I’ll try dig it up & see if I can find it to post if I do.

I hope you don’t mind me sharing some other resources?

I was just wondering if you have heard of or tried the Alternatives to Suicide peer groups or Alternative to Emergency Department drop in services that run?

• The peer support groups offer a regular group time to talk about experiences of suicide with people who have that lived experience themselves. 

• The drop in services are a physical space that people with experiences of distress & thoughts of suicide can seek support in instead of going to the emergency department. The service is staffed with people who have had their own lived experience of SI & can provide peer support. (Often called Safe Haven)

I’ve noticed more popping up in various places over the year & just thought I’d share that as a resource, in case it might be of interest to you. 

I’ve also heard others describe what you mentioned about maybe SI & being like an alarm. For what it’s worth, makes a lot of sense to me. 

Take care

Thanks @flybluebird, No, I haven't heard of "Alternatives to Suicide peer groups" or "Alternative to Emergency dpt drop in"
Wonder who to ask in Brisbane to find them.
Just have to ride it out, ignore these thoughts. Hope they're not "VOICES" 😟 (psychosis), they're inside my head. They're not BELIEFS, though they are linked to feelings .. which brings me back to circumstances, and stress levels. Have to own and better manage my stress. Where do we get the energy to discipline when we're so flat 😟 Wish I lived in a small supportive little village. Yep, bit of a dreamer here.

20211220-094729_1.jpeg

Bit sad 🎄

I really respect how you view your experience @Rosemary4 & what you make of it.
You mention managing stress, just wondering what are the ways you personally find helpful in managing stress? 

And about the ALT to Suicide services - Yeah, I have often thought about sharing them here in the forums as I think many people might find them a helpful option.

I am not 100% over ones in Brissie, but there are some links to the groups here which are online so you can dial in australia wide - depending on time zone etc.

https://alt2su-nsw.net/support-groups/

The drop in centre services are funded to roll out across Australia & often called Safe Haven but not always.

There was one I knew of called Living EDge at Redland Hospital but not too across current services. 

You could possibly do a search or contact your local MH centre to ask, as they might know more.

Strong image of the eye, tear & chritsmas tree - not always a happy time of year....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance