Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

TAB
Senior Contributor

Re: Tabaluga's

Hi @SmilingGecko  yes, bit jeally re volunteering although I shut DES down pretty quick when they suggested 15hours a week in old folks home(cleaning up 'accidents' no doubt) ugh for $0 yeah , nah.. @StuF 

very quiet day today. going to try and get some house, well , furniture re-organisation done. I want some floor space lol. I stumbled onto REPS scheme for SA, there are very limited providers, using no-name brand stuff for aircons, but seems very cheap, still might be worth it just for one in kitchen that only use in summer ,dunno, prob only last a year or two if works at all for the price they claimed.

think going to have full shower. cat wash not cutting it lol.

...GM @Glisten @Oaktree 

@TAB old folks homes are an occupational hazard. They can fall and hurt workers. I used to do volunteer work at a nursing home once I left uni and learned this myself. I'm glad i did not get hurt. They told me if they fall and try to grab you to gain support just allow them to drop to the floor?! But my role was mainly cleaning up. It showed me a lot how the elderly are treated like cattle in nursing homes. It was an eye opener into that industry.

TAB
Senior Contributor

yeah I am not planning to be in one @SmilingGecko  maybe somewhere for couple weeks prior to death, will make my own plans. those places are terrible.

Yes they are awful places @TAB they are people in there just waiting to die. It can get very depressing. 

TAB
Senior Contributor

i prob visited parents 10 times over the years at homes, 3 at least was nearly overcome with smell of urine and other bodily fluids @SmilingGecko  def no fesh air in there, covid would have got rid of a lot of them 

@TAB hey tabby, out coffee and walk here. Hope you're okay

The place I was in was neat and clean but lots of work involved by staff to keep it that way. I suspect with the world the way it is that conditions in those places are getting worse just like hospitals @TAB. I've just showered, put a load of laundry through and roasted some beetroot to make a beetroot hummus dip. Now will organise a chickpea frittata. Going through my crisper to use up all leftover vegies for the end of the week. This afternoon will sweep some leaves in the garden and go for a walk

TAB
Senior Contributor

very windy here, cat not shown itself by 10.30 , usually latest 9am if it stays somewhere else @Meowmy 

picked up parcels at PO, got a ski jacket well just looks like a jacket, only just fits lol, cant do it up though , so only ok for SA in winter , not europe , say lol was cheap 50% off @SmilingGecko  looks okay. doing washing  

TAB
Senior Contributor

there is very little accountablility in nursing homes @SmilingGecko  most of money comes from govt, think they doubled $ per meal during covid, but they can do whatever they want with the money once they get hold of it, ie pay it to themselves etc and keep meals at $3.50 or whatever

@TAB good stuff regarding your jacket, it fits you nicely which is good. My preparedness things are arriving! Have been watching videos on how to seal wounds with a butterfly style suture that uses something called cribbons instead of just a plain old butterfly bandage. Its good to know how to use the clamp which is built into the suture to push the wound closed. Pretty handy to have around if you wound yourself 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C88daDiJw6n/

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance