Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Lets get real! Transitions into parenthood // Tues 12 Nov 7pm AEDT

Hi all. I'm late getting here because was out for the afternoon (3 hrs difference for us here in the west)

Re: Topic Tuesday // Lets get real! Transitions into parenthood // Tues 12 Nov 7pm AEDT

hello @cutiepiekitty Heart

Hi @eth thanks so much for coming along and sharing. 

You all have something very valuable to offer tonight regardless of your children being adults now- your early experiences of parenting and the challenges are really important to get real about tonight and help others learn and feel less alone too 🧡

@Sarzie  actually I still have times when I don't feel good enough.  Some of my child's health problems have taken until recently to be properly diagnosed.  I tell myself I did the best I could at the time, but the reality is it wasn't good enough a lot of the time.  Also bipolar episodes meant all sorts of risky adventures which I took them with me.  Plus we had to deal with special ed. and all sorts of interventions in the early years so I felt I was under constant scrutiny which really added to the pressure.

Yes having confidence in my parenting and the belief I’m a good mum is something I still struggle with most days 

Hi @cutiepiekitty - no problem at all, great to have you join us!

Okay - baby number 1

I had been in a job where they understood I would have to leave without notice and when we got a telegram that they had a baby for us it was full on - a trip to the hospital the next day and wow - what an unhapppy baby - the sh*t really hit the fan - he really let us know his displeasure and really? I don't blame him - he certainly did not ask for all of this

Totally unexpected

Baby number 2 - difficult pregnancy, early birth - for a months she was in hospital and we did not know at the time but the smell of formula still makes her feel sick.

But she knew us - she fitted into the family and all her life she has been a joy

Very different experiences yes - and neither easy - but that's what happened and it's all a long time ago but the memories are really clear

Dec

@eth, , @Sarzie  I still have times when I don't feel good enough.

Hi @eth 

Thank you for sharing your story. I imagine that must have been an overwhelming start to life as a parent!

I am wandering what sort of support you had when you were experiencing Post Natal Depression and Anxiety and what helped you in your recovery?

Oh boy - that's really premature and the dad leaving too @eth 

That is really something - and add a mix-ed up dx and the wrong medication

What can I say - I hear you - that is one really early birth and one really premature baby

My hat's off to you

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance