Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

derogatory voice inside my head

I am interested if anyone has experienced a voice which is not your own thoughts making short statements inside your head directed to you.  I get them maybe once or 3 times a day lately things are said like "you are a ****" , 'You stink" that kind of thing.  The voice sounds male and only says a few words. The thing is the voice is definately inside my head not outside which would indicate I am not psychotic..... anyway would like to hear others opinions. Will definately bring up with psychiatrist when I next see her.

41 REPLIES 41

Re: derogatory voice inside my head

Hey @greenpea I don't often but recently did.

I don't know how to describe it - part thought part internal voice saying: you deserve to be alone. It was repeated a few times over a day. Really distinct from my normal self-talk, so quite disconcerting. Spoke to psychologist about it and he thinks it's to do with strong messages I received as a kid around unworthiness.

@frog  interesting what your psychologist said. I will ask my psychiatrist when I next see her and also my mental health nurse because as you say the voice is not your own thoughts it is distinct and vocal yet in your head.

@greenpea 💚💚💚

@Zoe7  Heartxxx

I don't hear it from an external voice, but I say that kind of stuff to myself a lot. 

They could just be intrusive thoughts. They may be internally directed, but they are not that different from thoughts you might have of committing acts of violence or power or whatever. I'm pretty sure everyone gets those from time to time. They are definitely unsettling, but rest assured you're not going crazy.

The most important thing is to separate yourself from the thoughts.

Intrusive thoughts become destructive when you start to get thoughts ABOUT the thoughts, like "why am I thinking that? I'm such a horrible person", or even "I thought I was over these thoughts, and I'm going backwards, maybe my mental health is getting beyond hope" et cetera.

Thoughts or no thoughts, you're a complex and impactful human being. Just remember that, and see what your therapist says next time you see them.

Hi @greenpea I hear many voices some in and some out my head and one is really harsh towards me. A little more content that what you described amd throughout the whole day but I'm not sure it's always been like that as I've had it since my adult years as far as I can remember. I know it can be difficult to go about your day when you're being berated. I have been diagnosed schizophrenic many years ago and more recently DID bu I know voices are linked to a few different difficulties, especially if they're internal 

@destructive .

I have to say, I find it a tad freaky that as soon as I make a comment that uses the word "destructive", you turn up. It's like I summoned you. 😂.

@destructive  Thank you destructive. I have bipolar I/schizoaffective disorder. Before I was on medication I used to get voices outside my head that hasnt happened for awhile. Funny the voices have never been kind. I have never understood that aspect of these mental illnesses.

Hi @greenpea . I've just read your post and I am a little concerned for you. I will admit that I do experience this myself but I've mentioned this in the past to my psychiatrist who I no longer have and he told me it was part of my schizophrenia symptoms. I've learnt coping strategies to deal with this such as trying to block the voice out by doing something creative like knitting or even listening to music on my iPods or iPhone which has been helpful to me. I've also realised that the voice often comes on when I'm stressed or heading towards a depression period that I might not have picked the signs up on.

I'm glad you're going to mention it to your medical team as that's a great start. Well done! In the meantime, is there something you can do like distract yourself maybe? If it gets worse, I'd suggest calling a helpline to talk this experience through.

Best wishes and please take care forumite!

Judi9877☺️💐💕

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance