Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

onelove08
Contributor

Walking on eggshells

How do I know if I'm walking on eggshells because what I am seeing is traits of a personality disorder and I'm terrified of triggering a negative interaction? Or if I'm walking on eggshells because I am reading too much into their behaviour and I can't settle with change in behaviour? I want to protect myself and take care of myself but at the same time I think I'm at the detriment to someone else's inability to recognise their own struggles. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Walking on eggshells

@onelove08  You seem to have answered your own questions.

Being terrified of triggering a negative reaction is definitely walking on eggshells.

Also, the inability of someone not facing their own struggles.

Do you see a counsellor or psych ? If you don’t, your GP will be able to give you a referral, thats one way of looking after yourself.

Maybe look up narcissistic personality disorder or gaslighting. It might clarify some things for you.

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you Maggie, yes I do. I have definitely seen the gaslighting. It's the change of mood that I can't comprehend 

@onelove08  Try the narcissistic personality disorder, it might shine a light on some things for you.

I don’t know if there are MH issues that might cause mood changes with you partner ?

Try to get some support in place for yourself if possible. Take care of yourself.

Hi Maggie, 

yes there's mental health there but it's all been ignored and undiagnosed. She believes that when I cry I'm being weak, so I've stopped showing emotion in that regard. The moods come on like a switch and often come on when I'm out doing something with my friend. She will go from talking to me often and comfortably to then not talking to me at all, then we she returns to talking to me there's always heat behind it and she feels the need to assert her dominance all over again. She usually does this by alienating me from her and her children. Then when I remain polite, passive and calm it's almost like I've "proven" myself and she returns to being nice to me again. This can happen in a space of only an hour. That is what I find truly Bizzare

@onelove08  I would suggest talking to your GP. It sounds really difficult for you.

Undiagnosed MH issues are hard to live with, and can cause health problems for you if it continues. Support would help, if you can maybe try for some help. Take care.

Thank you Maggie
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance