Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

WIP
Senior Contributor

Vic Stage 4 Lockdown

Hi there,

I've got a pre existing mental illness and going through med changes at the moment, so life is pretty challenging at the moment. However, these further restrictions imposed in Victoria and that they'll be for at least 6 weeks, has got my anxiety through the roof and I'm not coping too well. My negative thoughts are running away from me and my usual coping techniques aren't helping much.

Just wondering if anyone else is feeling the same, or has some ideas?

WIP

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Vic Stage 4 Lockdown

@WIP  Strangely enough I am enjoying the lockdowns. I like being confined. Feel safer when the 'harsher' lockdown was in nsw. Now that we are have more freedoms I feel at risk some how .... you are safe WIP these measures are there to protect your health mentally and physically. Have faith in the government. Am here if you need to talk. Love peaHeart

Hi Pea @greenpea 

Thanks for responding.

I understand and totally appreciate why the government have introduced the tigher restrictions. To be honest, I'm not that worried about contracting the virus.  It's the prospect of a further 6 weeks on my own that I'm struggling with.  

I have no job, no friends, no family - no human interaction (except here on these forums) and spend the entire day just waiting for it to be over, if that makes sense.  I'm going through a difficult time with med changes, and loneliness is really taking a toll.  Being alone is contributing to my MH.  

I was looking into volunteering and starting up at a gym just before we went back into lockdown 4 weeks ago.  At least there, I had a small chance of mixing with ppl.  Now, 6 weeks feels like an eternity. 

Thanks for listening. xx

@WIP @greenpea 

I'm a little anxious as my job has been suspended because it's not an essential service and no one gave me a laptop to work from home as they didn't have enough equipment.

I am part of community groups that host zoom meetings, so whilst I am alone I still get to communicate with the outside world.

having changed with medications are always challenging and is a roller coaster in itself let alone dealing with COVID-19. We are allowed to go out and exercise for 1 hour a day. Perhaps a short walk around the local streets. It helps getting out of the house and been isolated. Whilst I know it's not talking to anyone but just seeing other people around the streets creates some normalcy.

Hi @jem80 

I'm sorry that your job has been suspended for the time being.  That's disappointing there wasn't enough equipment available so you could WFH.

Maybe I'm struggling extra today because of the weather.  The past few days have been really nice with the sunshine and I was going to the dog park.  Seeing the other doggies, always makes me feel better.  I'm grateful that we are allowed the 1 hour of exercise time a day.  I guess that's something.

@WIP 

It did turn cold around midday today and it was raining out my way so I stayed at home myself. I'm keeping busy knitting 🧶 

@jem80 

Knitting!!

i haven't done that since I was a teenager.

I'd need YouTube videos to show me what to do!

Enjoy your knitting 😊

@WIP  you have friends on Sane. We will always be here for you. I know it is not the same as rl friendships though.

WIP it is a good thing that the government is being so hard on all of this for example my mothers gp contracted covid a couple of months ago and is now left with a scarred heart and has developed epilepsy! No one wants this virus and he was a super fit man too and young. Stay safe my friend and six weeks is not long in the whole scheme of things. Again we are here for you. peaxxxHeart

Hi @WIP , I'm in Stage 4 restrictions too, and I hear you, it's all very anxiety-provoking. Dan Andrews' press conferences have become way too important, and processing each one takes time and is a battle. 6 weeks seems endless now, right at the start, doesn't it? I approve of the lockdowns, but recognise the immense toll they are taking /will take in losses of jobs, businesses, homes and mental health. 😞

I feel for you at the moment especially as you are in the middle of changing meds, which is incredibly tough. I'm wondering if you can develop a new interest from home? What I was thinking of was maybe choosing something that interests you but that you've never had time to develop, and spending time researching it online... Or could you maybe borrow e-books from your local library? I realise that having depression makes all this sort of thing much harder, so feel free to ignore if you like!

I'm thinking of you and supporting you as you go through this very difficult time, @WIP ...

Hi @NatureLover 

Happy Friday!

How are you going with lockdown?

I'm getting my head around it a bit more and seem to be a little less anxious about it.  The daily covid #s have decreased the past 2 days, which is encouraging.

I feel for all those people who have lost their job in the most strict lockdown & of course the families who can't access child care atm, and are trying to WFH.

People working on the front line of this pandemic are just amazing people.

Yeah, I do need to develop an interest that I can do from home and thank you for your suggestions.

Having depression does make it harder to find what 'I'm interested in' as, I don't know what I like at the moment and keeping my motivation levels are pretty low.

Theres a site coursera that has online courses in all sorts of stuff - upskill for work, or hobbies, so I'll check that out and try to commit to a course. Even if it's a few hours a week that's required - it's something.

Hope you are well 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance