Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Goldnight
New Contributor

Self Deprecation

Hey everyone. This is the first time I’ve really sought out some help about this, at the behest of my girlfriend. Let’s get into it. 

I’m not happy with the way I am, and I’ve been particularly hateful towards myself inside the past five to ten years. I have a tendency to lie about a lot of things whenever I feel like I’m being grilled for something, no matter how small, and it always comes back to bite me in the backend. I also have a habit of hyper focusing on the negative aspects of my life, and have recently started a habit of looking for something good to happen despite having goodness and light in my life already. 

I recognise that this is an issue, I just need help to focus on the parts of my life that are actually going well. I have a daughter that I love dearly, and my girlfriend is my entire world. My parents love and support me, and my best friend cares greatly for me. 

How can I start to keep the good things in my life in focus, not let myself get absorbed in the negatives, and start actually being kind to myself?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Self Deprecation

Hi @Goldnight , thanks for sharing. It’s great that you having people around you to support and motivate you to work on yourself. I encourage you to explore the opportunities that therapy has to offer around changing your core beliefs, and making new ones 😊

Hi there Goldnight,

We wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

We hope that you find the forums a great place to connect with other members, share stories and ideas, and find the support and connection you deserve.

Feel free to Introduce yourself here if you haven’t already!

We look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

The SANE Forums Team

That’s certainly the plan. Once I’m in a position to be able to regularly afford things like fuel to get around (which should be soon), I’ll be organising therapy through Open Arms, the psychologist organisation associated with the military.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance