Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

mrkibbles
Contributor

Feeling annoyed and not supported TW SI

This morning I was having some bad thoughts built up for awhile that led me to calling the acute care team and having to go to hospital to be checked, it was quite scary and traumatising as I was under an EEA but the staff and paramedics were so kind and welcoming and I started feeling a bit better until...

So my dad came to hospital and met with the mental health person and then came and sat with me and I finally told him about my autism diagnosis and he just says "everyone is autistic and on the spectrum" my heart sank and I felt so worthless coming from someone that should be supportive and understanding considering my situation at the time.

I take things to heart easily and it really hurt and it feels like I can't tell him anything without it being dismissed.

It's almost put me back into this mornings mindset and I hate feeling like that.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Feeling annoyed and not supported TW SI

Hi @mrkibbles - I'm so sorry you found yourself in that situation but I'm proud of you for reaching out for help and am glad that you had a positive experience getting support from health workers. 

I'm sorry your Dad didn't give you the response or support you need in that moment of vulnerability - What would you have liked him to say to you? 

I find often people say statements like that often in an attempt to make you feel included / normal in your experience of the world but it often ends up being hurtful! 

Good morning @mrkibbles 

That sounds so challenging, I'm so sorry that you felt so dismissed. Have you tried speaking to him about how this made you feel? 

I completely agree with how upsetting it can be when you need someone to be a strong support for you, but it just doesn't come across that way. 

Sitting with you,

You're not alone in this,

Amber22

Thank you @Jasper_123 I think I will talk to him again about it down the track, just need to recover for now. 

Thanks ☺️ @amber22 it really hurt at the time but I’ve learned that not everyone’s opinion should be taken seriously, but I will try and educate him on ASD.

@mrkibbles 

Oft, that is so rough. I remember having that conversation with my mum and telling her my psych thought I was ADHD and her response was "No your not". It can be so disheartening.

But even though your dad didn't say it, you should be proud that you were so brave to tell him and know that there are so many spaces on here where you will feel welcomed! Plus an Autism diagnosis doesn't change who you are, you are awesome no matter what.

Do you have much support other than your dad?

Aw I’m sorry you went through that too @LilMapleLeaf, it feels horrible considering what we have to go through, 

Thank you so much 🥺

Yeah my mum is supportive, and my gp/psychologist ☺️

Hey @mrkibbles, good to see you, I had been wondering how you're going.

I'm glad you were able to feel supported by the staff and paramedics at the time you needed it most, but I'm sorry to heat about your fathers attitude. It can be really disheartening when the people we love don't understand or support us, I know the feeling.

How are you doing now?

Hi @MermaidHair I’m doing a lot better, I had a session with the acute care team  yesterday who were both younger social workers and they were so nice and understanding,

I’m sorry you’ve been through something similar, it is a horrible feeling when someone doesn’t give you the support you need 😞

Awesome @mrkibbles, I'm happy to hear you're doing better 😊 It can make a world of difference when people are nice and understanding, the small things. It sounds like you're getting some really good supports in place, that's so good!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance