Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Bow
Senior Contributor

Continuity of care- I need your help please

Little back story first. In the last 12 months I have had a change of psychologist, support worker, case manager and psychiatrist and a change in the way I access support with my dietitian. 

I access a mental health support service, I have a support worker through them, she attends most of my appointments with me, does daily phone call check ins and weekly home visits. I attend groups through this service also. I’ve had one support worker change because everyone recognised that I just gel better with another worker. 

This service has a new manager and his big bright idea is that we will change support workers every 3 months. It is his view that we are customers of the service and that we should not get attached to the one worker. 

This just goes against everything that a person with mental health issues needs. Consistency is so important. I’ve just done a quick google search on the importance of continuity of care for mental health patients and all the results say how important it is. 

I’ve expressed my concerns through tears to my support worker. I’ve reminded her of all the recent changes I’ve had and that I just need consistency. It takes ages for me to build trust and rapport and to have rip that out from under me every 3 months is just so stupid. I can guarantee it will be a massive step backwards for me. 

id love any of your input or feedback. Your personal experiences. Ways in which I can verbalise how stupid this is in proper words. I am going to present my concerns to this new manager and I’d love your help please! 
@tyme @Jynx @Snowie  any peer workers??? Peer guides???

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Continuity of care- I need your help please

I have a large team around me and I can just imagine how …. (Need a word here other than frustratingly stupid) it will be to keep track of who my daily point of contact will be each 3 months!!

@Bow 

Hi there,

That sucks. I would say that idea isn't really mental health informed either. Have you had a chance to sit down and write how your feeling? If not I would start there, just write down absolutely everything you want to say in whatever way you want to say it right now, step away from it and come back with a fresh set of eyes and edit it. 

Some suggestions/thoughts I had that you may want to think about:

- Asking the manager what his reasoning is for changing support workers every 3 months and does this come from a mental health informed back ground? What research or evidence does he have to support this?

- Having some of your own evidence to support you, which I can see you've already looked into through research.

- Contacting his higher ups in the company to speak with.

- Is this aligned with the companies policies and duty of care?

If you need help rewording anything or expressing something I'd be more than happy to help

Hey @Bow,

I am so sorry to hear about what's happening. Navigating all these changes in your support system must be challenging. I've been there myself, and I know firsthand how unsettling it can feel when the people you rely on for support seem to constantly change.

It sounds like you've done your research and understand the importance of continuity of care, and your concerns are entirely valid. Consistency is crucial, especially when it comes to mental health support. It takes time to build trust and rapport, and having that ripped away at such short intervals can feel incredibly destabilising. 

Expressing your thoughts and feelings to the new manager is a good step, and I commend you for advocating for yourself in this way.

When approaching the manager, it might be helpful to emphasize how consistency in support workers has been vital in your journey. You could share examples of how previous changes have affected you and express your worries about the potential setbacks that could arise from this new policy. You could talk about trauma-informed practice as well.

I genuinely hope the manager will listen to your concerns and reconsider their approach.

We're all here to support you through this process. ❤️

Hi @Bow 

Firstly I am glad to hear that you have a support team around you hon. It is important to have people around us that can help us through this mental health journey.

I certainly do agree with you that consistency is a key. Especially when we have had trust issues in the past, the time it takes to trust a new support can take months. Once we have established that trust it then takes more time for us to be able to trust them with our life story and our day to day struggles. Yes I know I use the word trust a lot, but I think it is a key component in the relationship between a patient and their support.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any personal experience with the public health system. Both my psych, pdoc and gp are through the private system. I believe that both systems have their advantages and disadvantages and I could make a list of their pros/cons.

Consistency plays a very important role in our lives. Just within ourselves, it helps to improve our well being. Getting up every day, taking our meds, regular exercise are all examples of how the consistency we do for ourselves can help us. 

Another important reason to stay consistent with therapy is to build a strong and trusting therapeutic relationship. By breaking this relationship it can have a detrimental affect on our MH. Some example of this are spiraling out of control, having rapid shifts in our mood, sleep changes, social withdrawal, loss of interest in things around us and in most cases intrusive thoughts.

I hope this helps you.  Either way just let it be known that I am in your corner.

I'm glad you are not just taking this and doing something about it. It really does show the fight and courage you display every day. 

No matter what, I will be here for you 💗💗

@Bow 

"I have a large support team around me which is already a challenge to track. Having a staff member change every 3 months is going to cause further stress and struggle as I try to keep track of who my daily point of contact. The point of a support worker is to alleviate my daily stress and struggle not add to it."

Hope this helps

Oh wow @Bow that makes me so mad to hear. It is not at ALL trauma-informed care, not even a little bit. I think showing the research would be helpful, along with sharing your personal story of just how disruptive it is, how unsafe it makes you feel, and give examples of how these changes have impacted you in the past (like if you ever ended up in hospital after your support team changed, for instance). 

I went and googled some stuff for you as well - help you argue your case. I will also just say, this new manager is potentially not educated in trauma-informed care, which puts me on alert - like suggested above, could you go to someone higher up? 

Why consistency is a powerful force for healing trauma

Key ingredients for successful trauma-informed care

Framework for trauma-informed practice

The key is in predictability, which in turn helps to build trust, cos without trust there's no safety and without safety, it's game over, it's no longer a source of support, and instead becomes additional source of distress. 

Gee whizz I hope this new manager chooses something more banal to 'shake things up' (which new managers seem to like doing) instead of making a rash, uninformed decision with absolutely no consultation or care for those it impacts. 

thanks so much everyone for your input, feedback and suggestions, they have been greatly appreciated. ive spent a couple of hours writing some stuff one and skimming over studies, research and papers (there is so much!)

I have an appointment with my pdoc tomorrow, which my SW will be coming to and then after that we are suppose to be calling up this manager on loud speaker to speak with him and for me to express my concerns around this. I am not overly comfortable with how this is occuring, id much prefer to sit down and hand this to him... or at least be able to sit and read off it... feels a bit awkward if i was to read off it over the phone. sigh

This is what i have got so far.... it doesnt really flow much, its just points as ive come to them.

In the last 12 months, I have had a change of psychologist, support worker, case manager, psychiatrist and a change in the way I access support with my dietitian. And all have had a hugely negative impact on my recovery and caused many set backs. The change in one of those supports triggered a very steady decline in my mental health which resulted in an 8 week long admission and ECT treatment.

Having changes in my support feels like abandonment. Its people telling me that they will always be there, that they are never going anywhere and that I will do whatever I can to support you, but then up and leaving. It people giving up on me. it rejection. And perhaps in reality none of these things are true, but from a brain that has been through many experiences of trauma, this is what it screams.

Having a change in support worker every 3 months would be incredible destabilising and unsettling.

As I come from a background of significant trauma, it takes me a very long time to build trust and rapport with people. And even though I would eventually cycle back through workers time and time again, it would still mean re-building that trust and rapport again for me.    

What is your reasoning around these frequent changes?

Does it come from a trauma informed, mental health informed back ground?

What is your research and evidence to support this?

I use to work in community welfare and it truly baffles me that an approach like this would even be considered, when its so widely know that consistence and continuity of care is so vital in the care of and recovery of folks with mental health issues and just in general when caring for and working with people. My old work place unfortunately often had a high turn over of case managers, and I remember having to help pick up the pieces frequently when clients placements broke down, behaviours escalated and the very clear setbacks that occurred due to these changes in trusted relationships.

I have done my own bit of research this afternoon and I wont bore you with the pages of information, research and studies that have been done about how continuity of care is important, but here are some main points that i came across;

• There is evidence that people with serious psychiatric conditions are more likely to keep stability in their care when they allowed long term continuity of care
  • Patients who receive continuity of care in general have better health outcomes.
  • Continuity of care by having the same person seeing a client means that problems can be picked up quickly and clients needs understood better.
  • Continuity of care is widely believed to benefit clients with long term, serious mental health issues as it reduces fragmentation of care. Studies also showed that continuity of care reduced the risk of unplanned hospital admission.
  • Continuity of care is widely regarded as central to the provision of mental health services. It has recently assumed greater importance in conjunction with the decentralization of service delivery in mental health systems. Clinicians commonly assume that if COC is absent from the service provided to patients with chronic and debilitating conditions, the results maybe social isolation and threats to quality of life. The concept of COC is strategically first choice.
  • Aspects of disrupted continuity of care can explain poorer outcomes for patients concerned, especially having to recount ones medical history multiple times is stressful, frustrating and (for me incredible triggering), and more so for people with  mental health disorders that might have roots in traumatic events.
  • Continuity of care is not about developing dependence on one person, but about gaining insight and perspective from a consistent, positive presence.
  • Continuity of care is considered a corner-stone in the effective management of long-term disorders by services users, clinicians and healthcare policy makers. Its fundamental in several policy documents and is useful in service evaluation.
  • Its a fundamental element of traditional care and is of growing importance as the population age and live increasingly with significant, ongoing lifestyle and chronic disease challenges.
  • Its an essential feature of good quality care.

I experienced trauma from a very young age. It went on for a very long time. And I have continued to have experiences of trauma throughout my entire life. As a result of this I have grown up finding it very difficult to trust the world around me, and have formed an insecure, very anxious and disorganised attachment style.

Consistency is so important to me. and through consistency trauma can be repaired and healed. And this is not just for relationships with therapeutic input, its for all relationships in a survivor’s life. All support workers work differently, I know this first hand working with both (names removed) and also having interactions with other staff members.  Chopping and changing every 3 months is anxiety provoking, destabilising and re-traumatizing.

Its about predictability. Predictability helps build trust, because without trust, there is no safety (which is really REALLY important to me) and without safety it is game over, its no longer a source of support, instead it becomes an additional source of distress, which in a way is how I felt working with (name removed). I didn’t have that predictability with her, I didn’t have that trust, I didn’t have that safety.

No consultation or care for those impacted.

As I have a large support team around me, consisting of; a psychologist, psychiatrist, case manager, GP, dietitian and an eating disorder psychiatrist, all of whom quiet often have a lot to do with my care, I can only begin to imagine how frustrated they will be at having to keep up with who my day to day support worker is. I had (name removed) attend a GP appointment with me recently because (name removed) was off, and my GP actually asked (name removed) to leave the room as she did not know her and did not feel comfortable discussing my care in front of her.

Well said and documented @Bow 

I really hope that it helps.

This is really great stuff @Bow!! You have put a lot of care and consideration into it, and explained your reasoning in a really well-informed way. 

My tiniest suggestion would be to change the part where you say "I won't bore you with the pages of information, research and studies that have been done..." - cos what if this person is all about hard evidence and peer-reviewed research? Instead, you could perhaps say something like, "I have amassed a lot of research that supports me in this assessment around the importance of consistency of care, which I can provide upon request." (Unless you haven't been keeping track of it, which is fair enough haha). 

Otherwise, I am also glad you've got backup from your other supports in this as well. I only wish you could rally the support of the other clients of this service, because I sincerely doubt any of them would be happy about it either!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance