Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Saturday Soiree - all welcome!!

am inside too @Appleblossom@roses as it is soo hot outside 

have you any furbabies @roses 

i have none at the moment but have had lots in my life 

what hobbies do you like 

@Appleblossom @Shaz51 @eth @roses @bipolarbunny and everyone else

Just arrived in after lunch with friends. Hope things are going well prior to the party here.

Am going to grab a cuppa and come back and catchup

Cheers,

HenryX

Hi @HenryX  👋 

its really cold rainy and windy here 

not going anywhere 

inside with heater on snd a blanket on top of me!!!

hope you have a good night 

Hey @BlueBay @HenryX 

I have doona on my lap.  Finished  pizza and watching netflix with son..

Playing music for Gilligans Island ... what the ....lol

?? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcIFlmm_WbU 

@Shaz51 @Appleblossom @eth @roses @BlueBay @Dimity and everyone else

After the activity of the day and a few pleasant drinks - be they coffee, tea, Reisling or Scotch

and some tasty bites, I am throwing in a few thoughts from the West Coast, possibly for next week's soiree.

We have a pretty heavy weather system coming right down the West Coast. No people are permitted to stay in caravans or tents right down as far as Jurien Bay, and possibly further. I have been told that traffic is heavy on the Brand Highway going South toward Perth. Many people travel North at this time of year, away from the cold, further South, to normally warm pleasant weather up North.

To give an idea to people over East, Geraldton is 425 km North of Perth, with not very much more than a few towns, of a few hundred people each, in between. There is a sign on the Southern (Perth) entry to Geraldton {Population of about 30,000} stating "limited water supplies for 400 km North of Geraldton." The next "major" town, 400 km North of Geraldton, is Carnarvon {Population of about 5,000 (about a sixth of the population of Wangaratta)}. There is water at Shark Bay / Monkey Mia, however, it is a payment system, as with a coin-in-slot power supply.

The city of Greater Geraldton includes the Town of Mullewa {Population of about 600} that is 100km inland East of Geraldton.

Along the whole route North from Perth there are very few stands of real trees except in towns. Most of the vegetation is scrubby bushland.

Needless to say, we are hoping that the weather system does not bring high cyclonic winds with torrential rain. If the winds are not too strong and any rain is reasonably spread, ie. not in huge downpours, It will add to the good early rains that many of the agricultural areas have already received.

I mention a lot of this to indicate how widely and thinly dispersed the population in Western Australia is in comparison to the Eastern States.

Not to put a dampener on the soiree, but really a discussion about how relatively limited and widely dispersed is the population of Australia outside the major population centres and the Eastern Seaboard.

Apart from the imminent weather forecast, another issue about which I am particularly concerned is that of National Defence.

With fingers crossed, That Winds are Fair and the Rain Steady,

Best Wishes,

HenryX

@HenryX 

I have been concerned about the 3 systems brewing over there.  Yes the Tyranny of Distance is magnified in WA compared to Eastern States.   Did you see the movie Dirt Music?  Well that is where I get my images from ... lol ... plus from slides of the Kimberley in geology. Not made it to WA yet.  Would love to.

I think there needs to be space for a range of ideas brought up. 

A few people on the forum have experienced issues with extreme weather events.  Eg @Shaz51 

Indeed a big country @HenryX @Appleblossom  I crossed to WA for a holiday in the late 70s, by road one way and back by rail. I'd love to visit again for wildflower season, and the Kimberley would be an extraordinary trip. All I've seen is the SW, Perth and up to New Norcia. I hope you stay safe Henry the cyclones spiralling towards each other are said to be intrinsically unpredictable - they remind me of recent discoveries of colliding black holes.

I haven't lived remotely but the closeness of small town life is very different to the anonymity of suburbs. My grandmother was told she was 'almost a local' when she'd lived in our town for 20 years

The wind here has eased but there'll be rain overnight. We've probably seen the last of the warm weather, but the ground will be warm enough for planting for a while yet.

Have you seen Wakefield on ABC? It's had good reviews, I'll pick it up on iView. TV depictions of MI can make me a little nervous but we'll see how it plays out.

Well I'll turn in now... it's been a long day, Good night, I hope you have a restful night and good days tomorrow. 

12 mths ago could buy semi habitatable fixer upper house in mullewa for $24k @HenryX

@Appleblossom 

Hi Apple Thank you for the reply. Thought that might be a good idea about specific Page. Haven't got to the latest messages, but saw some that I think might relate.

Thanks again for your response

Cheers,

HenryX

@Shaz51 

Just hoping that It will not be a disaster or series of !!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance