Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Hot Chocolate Anyone ?

do yo bring them inside at night time @Adge  ??? xx

No @Shaz51 You can't do that with aviaries, they're too big (imovable).

They are sheltered with roofs, so don't get rained on.

Many of the finches (esp Bengalese) go into the nest at night, & all cuddle up together.

All year long (even in Summer), they do that.

6 to 8 Bengalese finches in one nest (very cozy) - that's why those are called Society Finches, because they're very social...

I have some Budgies, Weiros (Cockatiels), & one Canary inside.

Adge

@Adge, when I was a teenager, our next door neighbour had a big row of aiviaries in his backyard. Maybe 6 or so large-ish ones? I used to love visiting to look at all of them, and the cockateils used to copy my whistles. I think he had finches too, possibly budgies and canaries. 'Twas long ago and far away, can't remember them all now.
Our only "cage birds" here are the chooks, but we get so many wild birds visiting. One morning when I went outside, I could hear kookaburras down the creek, magpies in one tree, currawongs in another, and wood ducks sitting on the chimney. There's plenty of smaller birds too, like grey fantails and silvereyes, other little finchy type birds, blue wrens, New Holland Honeyeaters, plus ferals like blackbirds and sparrows. And there's wattle birds, and green parrots and rosellas and assorted cockatoos (Sulpher and Red-tailed Black) and corellas and galahs. And a surprisingly friendly/curious Peregrine Falcon turns up from time to time too. The local magies all accept us as fellow residents. One very game one actually wandered into our house one day. That was fun. 🙂

Loving the pictures here. I just made bread today and some lime marmalade last week. Toast anyone?

That sounds lovely @Smc I think you have a far wider variety of birds visiting you, than I have.

I get Honeyeaters, Wattlebirds & feral Laughing Turtledoves in my yard - that's about it.

The Honeyeater & Wattlebirds come now (not years ago)- because I planted so many Grevilleas (& a Banksia), with nectar (lots of flowers) for them.

Plus I hear Magpies & feral Kookaburras (not native to WA) in the street.

I've loved & kept birds since I was a teenager - I was the first in my family to keep birds.

Adge

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes please @FairerDingo 

Lime marmalade = :ok_hand:😀

How are you today?

Hi @FairerDingo I'm sure your Lime marmalade is very tasty.

I've not known many people who ever made their own jams.

My Grandmother (in the 1990's) used to to make her own Lemon Butter.

It was the best Lemon Butter, that I've ever tasted.

Adge

@Adge, my Mum made most of the jams, chutneys, pickles, sauces etc. that our family ate when we were growing up. I sort of followed suit after I moved out of home. They're not really all that hard, but without the encouragement of seeing other people do it, I guess the process might seem a bit mysterious...

I've got quince jelly sitting on the table at the moment. A friend was going away on holidays and realised she wouldn't have time to do anyting with a box of quinces before she left, so she passed them on to me with a request that she got a couple of jars of whatever I made back. That works for me. 🙂

I've still got a few quinces left. Am thinking of combining them with a few oranges from my Mum and Dad's place to make quince and orange jam.

Quince-Jelly-And-Paste-hero.jpg

Ooh Quince jelly, that's the best @Smc Yum!

I haven't tasted Quinces in donkey's years.

Rock hard they were, & take a lot of stewing I think.

Yes jam-making does seem mysterious, when never done before.

I did brew several batches of my own Ginger Beer, Stout, & Beer many years ago - but not since then.

It was nice too.

Adge

Brewing is at least as complicated as jam making, quite possibly more so. If you ever feel the urge to try, I'm sure you could successfully turn out a few lovely jarfuls @Adge.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance