Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sybill07
Senior Contributor

employment support agencies

wow

the little faith i had in government bureaucracy has just vanished.

So, you might remember my husband is applying for DSP, and we registered with a employment agency that understood that and was helping him to find some part time work, in accordance with what the pysch recommended...

Nothing has really happened on that score since Sept, except i've had a nervous breakdown trying to manage everything and do centrelink applications. (which some of you no doubt can appreciate...)

So, pretty unimpressed when they wanted him to interview fora  full time role, when he can't work fulltime. Have been trying to transfer, and just now told we can't. Because he is dms not des? And it sounds like centrelink have decided his illness is temporary (it isn't, it's ongoing for life now) and he will 'snap' out of it after a month.

Guess who I'm on the phone to now to give them a bit of a serve!

And after chatting with someone who is more knowledgeable than me, things have changed since last July. So now there is this 'separation' of employment into the dms and the des. And some groups only do one and not the other. And at no stage in all the  meetings do I recall these acronyms being used! And apparently we should have somethign called a job plan - what? Never seen it.

Feeling rather annoyed. You try to go through the proper channels and they are now so complicated and stupid that they just about don't work. But hey so long as the agencies get the gov funding hey!

Anyway - sharing so that if anyone is in a similar situation, do ask for which service you are eligible for. (dms is like a once a month check in on employment to see you're ok in the job; des is more every week or fortnight. That's the only difference. )

Also, apparently you ARE allowed to transfer if you're not feeling supported. And you can ask centrelink (!) to do an automatic transfer. Which I will do. Once I get through.

Can I charge centrelink at my hourly rate for all the time I spend chasing these things and waiting on hold etc? (I know I know...)

9 REPLIES 9

Re: employment support agencies

How very frustrating @sybill07 !Smiley Frustrated

It sounds like you are all over it.

Thanks for giving the other members the heads up.

not really - a huge confusing process.

so it seems that the job assessment (for the employment service) assigned him as Disability Employment Services - Disability Management Services (or whatever) but not Employment Support Services.

So both centrelink and the agency were correct - he's des AND dms. argh.

And centrelink can't do the transfer. you have to get the transfer form andmake sure the next one is in your area (not defined but guessing 10k) and then the first one 'agrees' to the move and then you're good. unless the second one is also crap.

Ridiculous situation.

Ended up speaking to the department of employment, who know what's what.

Head. Hurts.

Hi Sybill

We too went through this Centrelink nightmare.  It wasnt till we got the right person with the right agency who had the right contact and knew what to say. We were literally rejected and approved in the same week

Are you keeping notes? Write down things as you go, so you can argue in a logical way with supporting facts 

Are you registered with Partners in Recovery?  The support worker should be able to walk you through the forms and help you prepare for interviews or even go with you. 

Keep up the good fight 

Zxx

oo! no, hadn't heard of this group - will check them out - thanks!

I do find it annoying that you follow the 'advice' and yet feel so helpless and disempowered all at the same time. They half the time don't know what's required, so how on earth is a layperson meant to? It would be great to find that magic 'knowledgeable' guide but so far we haven't...

Incredibly frustrating process. And slow. Oh so slow...

It just makes a bad situation, stay bad, when all you want is to get on with it and begin the recovery process.

My husbands main trigger was money - so going to Centrelink would begin this huge cycle. He also wanted desparately to work, even though he was no where able, so the first thing out of his mouth at Centrelink would be 'i want to work' they would then put a big cross through his application.  I would appeal and the process would begin again. We soon realised he could not go to the office alone and we were coached on what to say.

If you go back again, say, yes my husband wants to work, but can only do so in a supported work environment. He cant handle any pressure and explain if he is under any pressure it makes him sick.  This is where my husband is and even though it is a huge drop in everything (position, money, etc) he gets up and goes every day and that alone is keeping him well

I was given some advice once and it has stuck with me - 'Don't sugar coat it'. Tell Centrelink the whole ugly truth, cry (but dont scream), dont say 'we are ok' - say we dont have any money. 

Its a hard road, I know, but we are on the flat road, out of the fog, at the moment and are able to enjoy the view, and one day you will be too

Z

xx

that's it exactly!

wow - have already spoken to partners in recovery and they have set up a referral for him and a meeting for me tomorrow!

they get it!

Just said this is exactly what i've been articulating that I need - some knowledgeable and objective help, that isn't the family. i'm tired of my family having to bear this burden with me when they don't know the system either. And I'm tired of being the ultimate responsible one - because every time there is a set back or a stuff up - it's down to me. That's incredibly stressful when you don't have control over the situation and don't know really what you are doing!

I work best in analogies - here's two. One is I feel we are rearranging deck chairs on the titanic - ie faffing about with  the minutiae of forms while the ship is actually sinking. The other is a toddler at Sorrento back beach - you just need a helping hand from someone who knows or can see ahead and can guide you over the rocks and through to the smooth sand ahead. But it needs to be done before the tide comes in.

Centrelink is truly a soul destroying process. And the politics around it really doesn't help. You already feel like shit and don't need your face rubbed in it by unthinking and blind pollies. I think it is time i joined the advocacy groups on this subject. (Once I have some spare mental energy...)

Cannot believe this group isn't more known. But bit concerned that they only cover the 'rich' suburbs of melbs, so it seems from their website. maybe there is an equivalent group in the west/north?

And the whole point is as you say - recovery. The best recovery is to get back into employment and be 'normal', but it has to be supported employment otherwise we are back with a sick husband again. It's just ridiculous. If the process could be streamlined somehow, we'd be out of their hair and living independently again... (I know, far too much common sense...)

Partners in Recovery is Australia wide. They have a central contact point and then you will go to the one closest to you. Im in the southwest of Sydney and they have been great for us. 

I have become an advocate because of the way other people just dont get it, and lots of people need to be woken up to what is needed

I have also learnt from experience to take care of yourself. Take time out. I used to say Im ok all the time but now that the worst is over, I am just ok, but I could be better. Ask Partners in Recovery for access to respite, it is needed for both of you (and if you have kids) they can access as well.  Respite will let you see that there are others like you out there and you are not alone

take care

Z

xx

oh that's good to know

yes - i'm rather surprised that despite all the information and media about mental illness that there is still such a stigma, and especially if someone isn't frothing at the mouth, then there's an assumption that they will just 'get over it' and so forth.

going to join an advocacy group once the dust has settled. I'm actually appalled by how poor the system is. That said, there are some great things about medicare and bulk bill and concession cards for meds so swings and roundabouts.

Yes, Centrelink is a challenge to say the least! We are currently waiting on an answer for our application for my daughter to receive DSP, I doubt we will qualify as there seem to be very limited parameters to meet, but it is the only way we can access a particular employment service dedicated to helping people with a disability (and they understand that mental illness is indeed a disability!), which can support  her to find work with a sympathetic employer. So many hoops to jump through, I wonder f they realise the frustration and despair they cause families with constant requests for the same or more information and them blanket rejections..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance