Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ChocMint
Contributor

Depression, Anxiety, Assault & Overwhelmed

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I am safe, and I'm with family.

Kinda hard to know where to start, so this might be really long winded, apologies in advance.

I have long term depression, that peaks at times, and I struggle to deal.

I have horrible social anxiety, which is far worse in crowded spaces like shopping centres, even the small ones. It's so bad, that I've been ordering groceries online since Woolies started it

I have Celiacs, Lactose Intolerance, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Aspergers & a heart condition.

I'm a 40 year old Mum, to a son who is about to turn 18, who also has Aspergers & ADHD.

My Dad lives with me along with my velcro dog (Staffie)

So lately I haven't been doing too good, I'm medicated, but I've been having a hard time.

I've signed up here & also on the Black Dog Institute website, which has been helping to point my brain in the right direction, along with Journalling for mental health, which I've just started, so it's all new to me, but my first "brain dump" was 9 x A4 pages, which felt great.

Thursday night was my first very bad night in 6 years, and Friday wasn't much better, however, I can't thank you enough, here at SANE, your posts and replies have been enough to help me through a really rough patch, just knowing I'm not the only person struggling and I'm not alone.

Today is a complete 180, and I recognise that not every day will feel like today, it has been amazing, I truly just needed a break from the way I did feel, and I'm committed to continuing with the work I'm putting in, for myself and I know it will benefit my family too.

I've started taking a good multivitamin, B Complex, Omegas and a Calcium & D combo, to help with my various health concerns.

Like everyone else, money is not making life easier, stress at work, other drivers on the road doing dumb things, general ignorance & stupidity, it all contributes to making our lives more difficult, but here's the thing.......

I know I can make it, I know I'll get through, it's just....the light at the end of the tunnel is a long way off, normal motivations alone won't do it, it's my stubbornness that pushes me forward.

I refuse to be beaten by my own mind, while I can recognise my feelings, I refuse to let them break me.

Friday gone I took my first ever "mental health day" off work. It's the ABSOLUTE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE. The alternative could have been quite bad.

Thank you to the team here at SANE, who keep us all, well.....SANE 🙂

I don't know if I can actually help anyone else here, but if you have any questions, please let me know 🙂

Love to all

Chocmint  (icecream)

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Depression, Anxiety, Assault & Overwhelmed

Hello @ChocMint. I'm just making a quick response to say 'Hello'. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot, but I love your 'can do' attitude. I hope it's contagious!

There are so many things weighing us all down at the moment, and you're right–you're certainly not alone. I'm sure others will be along soon to also welcome you. I hope things start to look brighter for you soon.

Love to you, too. Take care.😊

Hi @ChocMint (ice-cream), 

Your post has warmed my heart. You are living with so much, yet you have braved it enough to try new strategies. 

It's incredible what a 'brain dump' can do. And you know what? No one is going to look at what you write, and no one needs to re-read it - EVER (if they don't want).

If you ever feel you need that extra support, please know that our 1:1 SANE counsellors are available to talk 10am-10pm AEST Monday-Friday on 1800 187 263. However, please note that SANE is not a crisis service.

Sometimes just trying something different can bring relief.

I admire you for your courage, strength and resilience in reaching out. Here's a cuppa for you while you're at it 🙂

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 2.18.39 pm.png

Kindest, tyme

Well, @ChocMint,😊, it looks like a quiet night for responses here tonight. It happens sometimes. I'm sorry about that. I know how reassuring it is to reach out and have others respond with kindness and support when you need it. Perhaps they will rally tomorrow.

It's good to read that, despite everything, you are taking good care of yourself, and that you have loved family and dog about. I hope there are much better days ahead for you. Tomorrow is another day. Take care, my friend.🥰

Good morning @ChocMint  and welcome to the forums.

it  seems that you have many health issues but I admire your “can do” attitude.

I hope today goes well for you especially if you’re at work and that there are brighter days ahead. Meanwhile we are here for you.

Take care 💜

Hey @ChocMint  welcome to the forums, although it sounds like you have a lot going on, I think the attitude you carry along the way will help you…. And maybe even others 🙂 

Good on you for taking a mental health day off work! Hoping that today is a better day for you 

🎀

@ChocMint I'm so, so, so glad to hear you are feeling well today. That's such a blessing. Yay ❤

Thank you everyone, I found this forum on a really dark day, and I love & appreciate the honesty I've seen here, it's contributed to being able to crawl out of the dark a little.

I know dark times last so very long for some people, but mine are usually only a few days, thankfully, but they're very intense days. Actually I think I have PMDD too, which just creates a massive brain fart too 😳 

Thank you again 😁

Hi @ChocMint ,

I was passing by and wanted to check-in with you to see how are you are going. Anything special happening on your side? Hope you are well!

tyme

Hi @tyme ,

Thanks so much for checking in, I'm doing a lot better at the moment, Journalling is helping, and knowing that there's some support online is good too, particularly in this world of FB & Insta perfection & superiority, I'm avoiding the normal social media channels too, cos it gets me down sometimes.

On a good day I sat down & reorganised my budget, so I can stop worrying about money & just follow my plan 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance