Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

007mum
Contributor

A journey with my son

Hi all

3 years ago my 18 year old son left for a working holiday in Canada. He came home seemingly healthy and was convinced to go work in a remote town in western NSW.  He stayed for 6 month and began to suffer major anxiety, he returned home nearky 2 years ago as he had glandular fever. Since then he has been deling with depression and anxiety and has been on medication for 16 months. Recently he has become a lot worse and last week told me he had tried to harm himself and was constantly feeling suicidal.   He went to his psychiatrist on Monday who advised him to double his medication and come back in 8 weeks (even though he had  very well thought out plan).

That night I took him to emergency at our local hospital where he was temporarily sectioned by the mental health team and then admitted by the psychiatrist.  While this was devastating for me it was also a huge relief.., he seems to be doing a bit better and has been re dignosed with depressive bipolar, despite being very angry at his psychiatrist and GP for continuing to medicate him even when it was not working I am feeling hopeful that with a new dignoses and diferent medication he will finally show some improvement.

At the moment my life consists of work and hospital and frankly I am damn exhausted! 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A journey with my son

Hi @007mum

I totally understand that feeling of relief and hope. I'm really glad things are looking up.

Just as a FYI, on Tuesday March 22, we are running a Topic Tuesday (live forum session) for those caring for people with bipolar. You can find the discussion here

Your story and the exhaustion you speak of, sounds quite similar to another new member, @SeasideMum1 . You can check out her story here

I'm really glad you found this community. I hope it can be a helpful and supportive place for you.

Hi Niknik
Thanks for the lovely reply. I am glad I found you too! My sons Dr suggested I look for a support group and this one seems very cool 🙂
I feel like a helicopter parent at the moment, not many of the other patients have family come in, but I am there often with gifts and food!

Hi 007Mum,

My 21 year old daughter has been diagnosed bipolar type II (maybe the sane as depressive bopiolar...?) and it was after returning from living in the UK for a few months that she started spiralling downwards. She had also been in an abusive relationship (we didn't know at the time) and has, over the last 18 months or so, been suicidal frequently. It took a long time to get her to the right care and treatment.

She has been taking mood stabilising medication which has been helping. She is currently attending an intensive Cognitive Behavoiural Therapy course. I was concerned how well she would engage with this as she has become virtually nocturnal and we have to leave home at 8am to get there. She is also dyslexic so any classroom style learning is very challenging, particularly as it brings back awful memories of her school years. However, she has been amazing and has totally embraced the course and the group and is benefitting from understanding why she feels and reacts the way she has been.

I don't hold my breath now as external triggers and events can cause her major setbacks, but I have faith she will find her path in life and enjoy healthier relationships in the future.

I totally get your expression of exhaustion. I've been working longer days to accommdate taking her to CBT and the emotional toll alone is so tiring.

My daughter was the only group member to have relatives or friends attend the family session at her course and I know she valued that. I am sure your son values your support and love.

I'm new to this forum too and already feel it has been helpful.

Hang in there!

Hi Sarah
Thank you. It is really good to hear your daughter is doing well . That gives me hope that we can get through this. His Drs are positive about outcomes and he seems positive and ok at the moment.
My family are coming up today which can be exhausting but my sister is a work wind and will do fabulous things like clean fridges and stuff. Mum is also coming to stay next week:)

Hello @007mum Welcome.

I went every day to visit my son and yes brought food and games, music, a bucket and had to wash his feet as he was barefoot and had messed them up running through the country side .. before he was picked up by ambulance.

I wasnt sure if it was the right thing .. as school was usually telling us that our kids didnt want us around ... and so you dont want to crowd them... but while my son was in mhu the nurses all encouraged me as they said I settled him better than anyone ... during the month I started to see other parents (he was in a youth ward) do whats right for you ... and for him.

course you'd be absolutley exhausted. Hope it continues to stabilise.  We are stable at the moment.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance